Art After School 2017-2018
New opportunity! TAM’s free Art After School program provides youth with new ways to connect to art and their community! Youth participating in local community-based organizations will engage in dynamic conversations about contemporary social issues sparked by encounters with original works of art in TAM’s galleries. Experience includes a hands-on activity designed to inspire creative self-expression!
- Available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 3-6 pm
- Two hour experience: one hour of discussion in the galleries and a one hour hands-on activity
- For groups of 8-30 youth in grades K-12
- Art After School is free for youth participating in community-based organizations and afterschool programs serving primarily youth who are low-income and/or racially diverse. Transportation reimbursement is also available.
Program registration for the 2017-2018 school year will open August 22, 2017.
Additional Program Information
Art After School seeks to address the following community needs:
- Increase youth participation in the arts by creating increased opportunities for youth to access the Tacoma Art Museum
- Increase the percentage of students benefiting from expanded learning and enrichment opportunities through out-of-school programs as identified by the Foundation for Tacoma Students
- Support the development of 21st century skills (e.g. Creativity and Innovation, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, Communication and Collaboration, and Social and Cross-Cultural Skills) which are essential to career and college readiness as identified by Tacoma Public Schools
The goals of Art After School are to:
- Increase equitable access to the arts by providing transportation funds and free program access
- Cultivate empathy and tolerance amongst youth participants to foster a more equitable society by engaging in inclusive dialogue about works of art by artists with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Empower youth to act as leaders in their communities by providing multiple opportunities for youth to express themselves and build confidence in their opinions and voice
For additional questions or to receive a reminder email once registration opens, please contact Christina Westpheling, Educator for Youth Learning, CWestpheling@TacomaArtMuseum.org.
Art After School 2017-2018 is generously supported by The Marguerite Casey Foundation.