Professional Development for Educators
Tacoma Art Museum offers professional development for K-12 educators throughout the year. Learn how arts integration can enhance your classroom curriculum in a variety of content areas. Experience a gallery tour and art-making opportunity. Discuss with fellow educators. Walk away with a new lesson or lessons for your classroom!
$15 per educator, clock hours are available.
January 17: The Art of Science
We often think of science and art as opposites – “left-brain” and “right-brain.” But scientists and artists have a lot in common! Learn how artistic practices mirror NGSS Practices and support Crosscutting Concepts. Get a special, private preview of works of glass art in the new Rebecca and Jack Benaroya Wing. Experience a science-related art activity, and walk away with new ideas for science and arts integration in your own classroom.
Registration for this workshop has closed. Please check back for future workshop offerings.
January 17: Rebecca and Jack Benaroya Wing Educator Preview, 6-8pm
Get a special sneak peek at the new Rebecca and Jack Benaroya Wing! Join us for a reception with hors d’oeuvres and a hosted bar. Explore the new wing before it opens to the public, and hear how Tacoma Art Museum’s education programs can support your students’ learning throughout the year.
To extend your learning, join us for a clock-hours-eligible TAM Teach! workshop earlier in the day.
The Educator Preview is open to all educators, PreK through university level.
This event is free. Reserve your spot here.
February 9: Full STEAM Ahead, 9-4pm
Tacoma’s museum district brings you creative new ways to incorporate science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics into your classroom. Educators from each museum will provide engaging, hands-on workshops for both primary and secondary teachers, offering lesson plans and supplementary materials for educators to utilize in their own classrooms. A STEAM lunch panel discussion will feature education and community leaders.
Participating museums include LeMay Car Museum, Children’s Museum of Tacoma, Foss Waterway Seaport, Museum of Glass, Washington State History Museum and Tacoma Art Museum.
Early Bird Rate (before Dec 31, 2018): $45
Regular Rate: $55
Registration includes 6 clock hours, lunch, cross-curricular lesson plans, parking and admission to each museum.
Check back soon for more 2018 – 2019 dates
Join Tacoma Art Museum for a professional development day with staff from your school! Programs range from fun team-building activities to curriculum and skill-building. Each workshop is two hours long; most can be delivered at your location or here at TAM. These programs are suitable for any educators, and can be adapted to fit your group’s particular needs.
- All Students Are Artists: Help your students unlock the power of their own creativity! Learn how youth develop their critical thinking through viewing and making art. We’ll give you a few tips and tricks to use in your own classroom with any content area and grade level, plus you’ll get to experience these lessons for yourself.
- Prickly Issues: Art as an Entry Point for Current Events Dialogue: How do you help students articulate their thoughts and feelings about controversial topics? Work together to investigate a work of art related to current events, then learn how you can apply this strategy in your own classrooms.
- Native Voices and Visual Art: Explore contemporary Native perspectives through dynamic works of art. Learn how portraits and other artwork express identity and culture, and gain insight for incorporating the “Since Time Immemorial” curriculum into your classroom.
- How Teachers Create: A re-imagining of our popular How Artists Create program, for teachers! Bring your colleagues together for a day of team-building at TAM. In the galleries, you’ll explore some techniques that artists use in their work; then, work together to create a collaborative work of art. (This workshop is only available on-site at TAM.)
Cost: $250 per workshop
To schedule an Educator Exploration, email email@example.com.
Upcoming Educator Events
- Check back soon for more details on special events just for area educators!
Visit our events calendar for more