The 7th Annual Northwest Native Celebration highlights the vitality and resilience of Northwest Native artists and communities through contemporary and traditional Native culture and art. See visual and performance art, participate in hands-on activities, listen to spoken word and storytelling, get inspired with a runway fashion show, and connect with artists at the art market. Visitors are also welcome to view TAM’s exhibitions, including the special exhibition Edvard Munch and the Sea.
Northwest Native Fashion Designers
We are pleased to announce the four chosen designers for the Northwest Native Fashion Show!
Hair and makeup provided by London’s
- Arae Form – Britt Rynearson
- Edzerza Designs – Alano Edzerza
- MEKA – Mary Kelsay
- Transcendence – Lisa Fruichantie
- Print Art – Araquin Designs (Upper Skagit)
- Ceramics – Natasha Alphonse (Dene)
- Art & Crafts – Quw’utsun Made
- Print Art – Jeffrey Veregge (Port Gamble S’Klallam)
- Weaving – Lisa Telford (Haida)
- Jewelry – Jennifer’s Copper and Silver (Tlingit)
- Drums and More – Joe Seymour (Squaxin Island/Acoma)
- Beadwork – Denise Emerson (Skokomish)
- Southwest Native Jewelry and Crafts (Zuni)
- Drums by Tachini Pete (Salish/Diné)
- All fashion designers (above) will also be vendors!
- And more!
All day in the TAM Studio
Inspired by Marie Watt’s iconic Blanket Stories sculpture, visitors will create a personalized piece to add to a collaborative sculpture that will grow and evolve throughout the day.
Books and Looks
See schedule below for times and topics
Native authors meet Native artists in this interactive storytime in the galleries. Join an engaging reading and discussion of a children’s book by a Native author, related to a work of contemporary Native art.
Schedule of Events
10:30 am – Blessing by the Puyallup Canoe Family
11:00 am – Books and Looks: Shi-shi-etko, Written by Nicola I. Campbell, Illustrated by Kim LaFave
12:00 pm – Spoken Word and Storytelling featuring Sara Ortiz, Nahaan, and more.
1:00 am – Books and Looks: Greet the Dawn: The Lakota Way, Written and Illustrated by S.D. Nelson
3:00 pm – Northwest Native Fashion Show
3:30 am – Books and Looks: Dragonfly Kites, Written by Tomson Highway, Illustrated by Julie Flett
Check back soon for additional scheduled events!
Northwest Native Celebration is generously supported by Tacoma Arts Commission and presented in partnership with Potlatch Fund.
Seasonal support provided by Artsfund.
Generous support provided by Brent and Connie McKinley.