Art After School
TAM’s FREE Art After School program provides youth with new ways to connect to art and their community! Youth participating in local community-based organizations will engage in dynamic conversations about contemporary social issues sparked by encounters with works of art in TAM’s collection.
- In the 2020-2 school year, Art After School is offered as a 30 – 60 minute virtual tour.
- For groups of 8-30 youth, grades K-12
- Art After School is free for youth participating in community-based organizations and afterschool programs serving primarily youth who are low-income and/or youth of color.
Identity and Native Art
Recommended for grades K-12
The contemporary Native artists included in Native Portraiture: Power and Perception actively deconstruct myths and preconceptions about Native people through their art. Youth will consider the dynamics at play when non-Native artists create images of Native people and when Native artists create images of themselves and members of their own communities. Youth will also identify the power of telling their own story and defining their own identity.
Additional Program Information
Art After School seeks to address the following community needs:
- Increase youth participation in the arts by creating increased opportunities for youth to access the Tacoma Art Museum
- Increase the percentage of students benefiting from expanded learning and enrichment opportunities through out-of-school programs as identified by the Foundation for Tacoma Students
- Support the development of 21st century skills (e.g. Creativity and Innovation, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, Communication and Collaboration, and Social and Cross-Cultural Skills) which are essential to career and college readiness as identified by Tacoma Public Schools
The goals of Art After School are to:
- Increase equitable access to the arts by providing transportation funds and free program access
- Cultivate empathy and tolerance amongst youth participants to foster a more equitable society by engaging in inclusive dialogue about works of art by artists with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Empower youth to act as leaders in their communities by providing multiple opportunities for youth to express themselves and build confidence in their opinions and voice
For additional questions or to book a program please contact our Tour Manager at Tours@TacomaArtMuseum.org