School Field Trip Programs
Bring your class to Tacoma Art Museum for a field trip!
TAM field trips are designed for students in PreK-12th grade, and are aligned to state and national standards.
- We believe all students are artists, with the power to make meaning by viewing & creating works of art.
- Artists express the realities & possibilities of communities, society, & the world.
- We foster students’ empathy and inspire them to envision a more equitable world.
What We Teach
- Field trip programs typically last two hours: one hour of discussion and activities in the galleries and one hour of hands-on art-making.
- Each field trip is guided by an essential question and 2-3 learning targets related to a specific theme.
- Field trips support Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts, state Visual Art Standards, state Social Studies Standards, and Since Time Immemorial curriculum.
How We Teach
- Trained Gallery Educators and Teaching Artists facilitate field trip programs.
- Discussions and activities with original works of art are adapted from Harvard’s Project Zero and are designed to build critical thinking skills and cultivate visual literacy.
- Art-making is driven by the Studio Thinking framework, which emphasizes student voice and agency during the creative process, and the cultivation of Studio Habits of Mind.
- Cost: $7 per student, scholarship rate of $5 per student available for eligible schools
- A scholarship rate is available to schools with at least 50% of students enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program and must be requested at the time of registration. This rate is $5 per student for guided tours with a minimum of 10 paid students.
- Transportation reimbursement is available on a first-come first-served basis
- Required chaperone ratio: 1 chaperone per 10 students; TAM can provide volunteer chaperones at the museum, upon request
- Free lunch space is available
- Elementary School Programs
- Middle and High School Programs
- Self-Guided Experience
- College student groups should register as Adult Group Tours.
Additional information is available regarding transportation.
Questions? Please email us at Tours@TacomaArtMuseum.org or call 253-272-4258 x3026