TAM school programs are designed for students in PreK-12th grade, and are aligned to state and national standards.
- We believe all students are artists, with the power to make meaning by viewing and creating works of art.
- Artists express the realities and possibilities of communities, society, and the world.
- We foster students’ empathy and inspire them to envision a more equitable world.
How We Teach
Field trip programs typically last two hours: one hour of discussion and activities in the galleries and one hour of hands-on art-making.
- Trained Museum Educators facilitate field trip programs.
- Discussions and activities with original works of art are adapted from Harvard’s Project Zero and are designed to build critical thinking skills and cultivate visual literacy.
- Art-making is driven by the Studio Thinking framework, which emphasizes student voice and agency during the creative process, and the cultivation of Studio Habits of Mind.
School Tour Costs
- $7 per student, Scholarship rate of $5 per student for eligible schools.
- Transportation reimbursement is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Free lunch space is available.
Self-guided experiences are recommended for middle and high school groups who have specific learning goals separate from our field trip programs.
Cost: Free for students 18 and under.
Please schedule your self-guided tours with our tour manager so we may provide the best experience for all our visitors.
Questions? Please email us at Tours@TacomaArtMuseum.org or call 253-272-4258 x3060.