Bring Tacoma Art Museum to your class with a virtual program!
TAM school programs are designed for students in PreK-12th grade, and are aligned to state and national standards.
- We believe all students are artists, with the power to make meaning by viewing and creating works of art.
- Artists express the realities and possibilities of communities, society, and the world.
- We foster students’ empathy and inspire them to envision a more equitable world.
What We Teach
- Virtual programs typically last 20-75 minutes, depending on grade and program. Every program includes a virtual tour that looks in-depth at two or more works of art. Some programs include a 20-30 minute facilitated art-making activity, with materials provided. Suggested pre- and post-program activities help extend students’ learning beyond the program time.
- Each program is guided by an essential question and 2-3 learning targets related to a specific theme.
- Programs support Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts, as well as state Visual Art, Social Studies, and/or Social-Emotional Learning standards.
How We Teach
- Trained Gallery Educators and Teaching Artists facilitate field trip programs.
- Discussions and activities with original works of art are adapted from Harvard’s Project Zero and are designed to build critical thinking skills and cultivate visual literacy.
- Art-making is driven by the Studio Thinking framework, which emphasizes student voice and agency during the creative process, and the cultivation of Studio Habits of Mind.
- $100 per program session (up to 30 students)
- Add $75 per classroom (up to 30 students) for programs with facilitated art-making activity.
- Art-making materials can be delivered to local school sites (within a 25-mile radius) free of charge. Alternately, you can pick up supplies from TAM. Outside this area, schools are responsible for paying the shipping cost.
- A scholarship rate is available to schools with at least 50% of students enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program. This rate is 25% off your total program cost, and must be requested at the time of registration.
- Building discount: If multiple teachers from the same school book a program, each program receives 10% off. (This can be combined with scholarship rate if applicable.)
Refer a friend! If you refer 5 teachers who book a program with us, you will receive a free year-long TAM membership. This Pioneer-level membership also includes admission to other reciprocating museums around the country.
- Elementary School Programs
- Middle and High School Programs
- College student groups should register as Adult Group Tours.
- Virtual Programs Administrator Letter
Questions? Please email us at Tours@TacomaArtMuseum.org or call 253-272-4258 x3026