Tips for Visiting with Kids
Know what to expect before your visit to TAM, by reviewing this Social Story [pdf] together.
Looking at Art Together
There is no wrong way to look at art! Explore the museum for as long or as little as you like. Here are a few ideas to explore art together:
- Have a seat on a bench or the floor, and spend time quietly looking at a single work of art. Look for 15 seconds. What do you notice? Look for another 15 seconds. What else do you notice?
- Ask questions to spark a conversation:
- What’s going on in this work of art?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What does this work of art remind you of?
- What does this work of art make you wonder about?
- What more can we find?
- Imagine that you stepped into a work of art. What would you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch?
- Find a work of art that tells a story. Who are the characters? What do you think happened before? What do you think will happen next?
You might want to start by getting inspiration from works of art in the galleries. Pick up a sketchbook and pencil from TAM Studio. Find a work of art that interests you and draw it in your sketchbook.
TAM Studio is full of art-making materials and books to spark your imagination. What will you create today?