Can you provide examples of what programming and support might look like?
Possible institutional support includes, but is not limited to:
- Exhibition or Exhibition Support
- Lecture series
- Artist planned community festival
- Website and Branding Support
- Art Handling (cataloguing and records keeping)
- Conversational dinners
- Studio Space
- Portfolio prep/artwork photography
- Collaborative Project involving other artists or community members
Who is eligible?
The award is open to Black visual artists in all working media working or living in the Greater Tacoma area.
What does “unrestricted” mean?
The awardee receives the funding outright and may use it in any way they choose.
What are the criteria for the award?
- Artistic excellence
- Black artists living and/or working in the Tacoma Area
- 18 years or older by time of nomination
How is the winner selected?
The Current awardee is selected through a two-part nomination process. Input from the Collaborative Committee is used to first select nominators of varying expertise and backgrounds in the arts. These nominators will propose a list of Tacoma artists whose work demonstrates excellence in execution. From that pool, an awardee will be selected by a panel of highly esteemed art administrators, curators, artists, and community members.
What is the Collaborative Committee?
The Current Collaborative Committee is a group of five Black artists or art administrators from the Greater Tacoma and Seattle area. The committee meets throughout the award year to offer external community input, feedback, inspiration, and connections to inform the award and its programs to best serve the artist awardees, program goals, and the community at large.
How many artists are being funded?
One artist will be awarded each year.
Will career stage affect nomination?
Career stage is not part of selection criteria and will not affect an artist’s nomination eligibility.
- November 12, 2021: Soft Launch/ Open House
- January 2022: Announcement of Collaborative Committee members
- July 2022: Nominators announced
- July – September 2022: Nominator Review
- September 2022: Finalists announced
- September – October 2022: Nominators vote
- October 2022: Notification of Award Status
- November 2022: Awardee announced
Questions? Contact Artist Award Manager Victoria Miles at VMiles@TacomaArtMuseum.org.