Call to Artists: Tapete Artist – Dia de los Muertos
Applications are closed.
Tacoma Art Museum’s (TAM) 13th Annual Dia de los Muertos Free Community Festival will take place from 10 am to 4 pm on November 5, 2017. TAM will host this lively event in partnership with Proyecto MoLE, Centro Latino, and the Consulado de Mexico en Seattle. Dia de los Muertos is a celebration of departed loved ones and the cycle of life. Along with the tapete, the festival features community altars, music, performances, crafts, and traditional foods.
TAM will provide $1500 for design and creation process; $400 for materials.
Friday, September 15, 2017. All application materials must be received by this deadline. Only emailed applications will be considered.
Applicants must reside in Washington State. All applicants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
Artist commits to:
- Create the tapete between the hours of 10am and 5pm on Sunday, October 22 and Tuesday, October 24. The tapete must be completed by 4pm on Tuesday, October 24.
- Oversee creation process, including: design, supplies purchasing, hiring supporting artists, etc.
- Create an original design
- Fill out TAM’s online Market Me form
- Encourage visitor engagement with tapete creation process
- Attend a logistics meeting with TAM staff (date TBD)
All applicants must submit the following materials:
- Current email address and phone number
- Artist statement (500 words or less)
- Design Proposal
- 5-10 images of previous work
- Links to website and social media handles (if applicable)
Please email the materials listed above to Britt Board, Community Engagement Manager, at BBoard@TacomaArtMuseum.org on or before Friday, September 15, 2017. You will receive a confirmation email when your materials have been received.
Applicants must fulfill the application requirements by September 15, 2017. Museum staff and community partners will review all applications and select an artist. We will notify all applicants of selection results by Tuesday, September 26.
Artists will be selected based on the thoroughness of their application, and the quality and strength of past work as demonstrated in the submitted application materials.
Contact Britt Board, BBoard@TacomaArtMuseum.org, 253-272-4258 x3062.